RE: Working with developers (was Re: About The Cloud: Quick-ReadSuggestions)

Subject: RE: Working with developers (was Re: About The Cloud: Quick-ReadSuggestions)
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Joyce -dot- Fetterman -at- L-3com -dot- com" <Joyce -dot- Fetterman -at- L-3com -dot- com>, Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>, "Weissman, Jessica" <WeissmanJ -at- abacustech -dot- com>, "salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2013 16:23:06 -0400

I do a little bit of everything.
I ask questions that make them wonder if they know their own product.
I ask "dumb" questions, but I explain why I think a customer might want/need to know this-or-that. Or mention the name of a customer who already asked.
I don't attack the product in the planned, compartmentalized [anal?] way that a tester does, but I often manage to break a product in ways the others have not thought of. This gets me points, and offers of a testing job, which I always refuse. Of course, I work directly for the testing manager, so he might be joshing.
The upshot is that the developers and testers are at least half-kidding when they duck and avert their eyes as I go past.... :-)

Seriously, I've never had a problem getting questions answered. The only problem sometimes, is the painful excess of detail. But then I have more questions, to narrow and filter it, so it all works out. Also, when I end up talking to three or six people on the track of some mystery, I make it a point to go back and summarize my findings for the people who contributed a piece, or who admitted to wondering the same thing, along the way.

Oh, and every second trip to Costco, I leave a bag/box/bowl of some sort of goodies in the lunch room.
If nothing else, I've single-handedly elevated the plebian chocolate tastes of dozens of co-workers. :->

- kevin (expanding minds and waistlines at this company for 15 years now)