RE: His/Her v. Their

Subject: RE: His/Her v. Their
From: Ben Davies <bdavies -at- imris -dot- com>
To: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
Date: Fri, 26 Oct 2012 22:04:22 +0000

Lauren I disagree with many of your points. But it's late, I'm tired, and want to go home. So I'll touch on only a couple for now..

You said:

"Which student's. Your use of the plural possessive only adds to the ambiguity. You changed the phrase to suit your theory, rather than rewrite the phrase to maintain its original message without gender."

The original said: "A good student always does his homework"
My sentence said: "A good student always does homework"

You want to know which students?

Good students do their own homework. The "own" is a logical implication. Students don't typically run around doing other people's homework. Nothing is suiting my theory here. I re-wrote the sentence without using "his", "her", or "their". I thought that was the challenge?

You said (in your last message):

" Remaining calm is a general condition that requires qualification for the subject of when a secretary may need to be calm. You do not understand the construction of the sentence. A temper is a specific thing that is controlled and Leonard explained what control is required. Remaining calm is a general condition that requires qualification for the subject of when a secretary may need to be calm.

> "When the phrase referred to "his temper" it was clear what the sentence was discussing."
>
> So staying calm has nothing to do with controlling your temper?

Why would it? A person with a temper in check (ironies being what they
are) is a person who is outwardly calm while possibly being internally aggravated (there go those ironies). Remaining calm does nothing to address temper.

> My sentence has the same meaning with different words.

Nope. Not at all. Leonard's is specific and subjective to the subject (secretaries), while yours is general and objective to how the subject is perceived in the world."

I'm sorry Lauren, but I completely disagree.

Controlling your temper when you get mad is something that is ALSO perceived in the world. Either you control your temper or you don't. There is public perception to both actions. When you are in a conflict, you have internal and external reactions. This is a fact of life.

I used the word calm, because it doesn't really matter what the secretary feels inside. What matters is how her actions are perceived in the real world.

***

I'm going home now.