RE: Help with Gmail Filters

Subject: RE: Help with Gmail Filters
From: "Steve Janoff (non-Celgene)" <sjanoff -at- celgene -dot- com>
To: Mike Starr <mike -at- writestarr -dot- com>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 29 Aug 2012 16:27:33 -0700

Thanks, Mike. (And Gene.)

I think, though, I need to clarify more, as maybe I misinterpreted what I might be able to do.

So when I had the Eudora client (7.1) on my old PC, and I first started using Gmail some years ago, I set up a gmail personality in Eudora. I'd check mail from the desktop client, download my gmail, and leave a copy of the mail on the server. I wasn't using it very much so this wasn't a big deal.

A few years ago I started using gmail heavily. I'd still download it to my desktop client, but found that if I left the mail on the server, waiting to delete it manually (say from the desktop client), it became a management nightmare, since I was duplicating everything.

But if I downloaded it to the desktop client and set it to delete the mail from the server on download, the mail was gone from the server so I couldn't check it on the web from any other computer.

So I stopped downloading the mail altogether, and from that point would always leave the mail on the server (in the cloud) and check it from the web version of gmail, rather than from the desktop version of Eudora. And that's what I do to this day. It's especially handy since gmail gives you 10 GB of free storage.

So what I'm wondering is, does Eudora OSE act as a kind of "skin" over the webmail version of gmail, so that I can check my gmail from the web, as I usually do, and simply look at it through the Eudora OSE UI -- of course always leaving the mail in the cloud.

It sounds from what you're saying that you *can't* do this. It would be nice, though, to overlay a superior interface and controls on the gmail webmail UI, which I can't stand.

Okay, thanks for any help on this one but as I say, sounds like what you guys are talking about is using Thunderbird/Eudora OSE as a desktop client and, in your case, Gene, just configuring it to look like Outlook. (Note: When I was at Eudora, Microsoft came down, did some due diligence, and offered to buy the Eudora division for $60MM -- this was at the height of the dot-com era. The GM at the time said no. Ultimately of course they had to give it away. But Microsoft went back after this rejection, and put a bunch of Eudora-like features into Outlook, so beginning with I believe the 2000 version, Outlook started to be a decent product.)

Steve