Re: Construction terminology question

Subject: Re: Construction terminology question
From: Lauren <lauren -at- writeco -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 13:53:25 -0700

On 8/6/2012 1:17 PM, Ken Stitzel wrote:

If I had a choice, I would say something like, "Workers constructed 1,800
piles to support the structure." The word "set" is a good suggestion, too.

It depends on how the pile is placed into the ground. If the pile is set in the foundation, then it is "set." If the pile is driven in the ground, then the pile is "driven."

This approach means you don't have to risk being wrong if you don't know
exactly how they did it. Leaves some "weasel" room.

I do not think that leaves "weasel" room. "Set" refers to setting with concrete, while "drive" refers to using driven piles.

More methods, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Deep_foundation. Deborah did mention "driven," though.

It's really fun to watch, too! I have seen dozens of highly paid software
engineers waste hours of time watching the piles going in for a big company
construction project next door.

I've done that.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help