Re: Construction terminology question

Subject: Re: Construction terminology question
From: Ken Stitzel <kstitzel -at- symplified -dot- com>
To: Tech Whirl <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Aug 2012 14:17:00 -0600

If I had a choice, I would say something like, "Workers constructed 1,800
piles to support the structure." The word "set" is a good suggestion, too.

This approach means you don't have to risk being wrong if you don't know
exactly how they did it. Leaves some "weasel" room.

Driven piles aren't used everywhere. In my area, almost all piles for
modern buildings are drilled with large steel-tracked drilling
machines--think three-foot diameter drill bit! After drilling the hole, the
workers use a hoist on the drill tower to set a cylindrical steel concrete
form into the hole. Then they set a preconstructed column of reinforcing
bars inside the form. Then they pump the whole thing full of concrete and
remove the form, letting the concrete bond with the soil. Steel columns are
often attached to the top of this concrete rather than actually driven into
the soil.

It's really fun to watch, too! I have seen dozens of highly paid software
engineers waste hours of time watching the piles going in for a big company
construction project next door. (I couldn't keep myself from doing the same
thing and felt bad about it until my boss came over to the window and
joined me for an hour!) And of course, we had to watch all over again when
they got the cranes out and had guys walking on the high steel. :)

Ken

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help