Re: Real World Advantages of Office / Word 2007 and Windows 7

Subject: Re: Real World Advantages of Office / Word 2007 and Windows 7
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 23:57:10 -0400

Not harsh, but you misread.

The systems operation manual (software) was done by the software engineers and the tech writers had no part of it. It was the software engineers finding their issues 2 days before, not the TWs, because they would wait until the last week to insert the changes. The tech writers did the theory of operation manuals, the maintenance manuals, RPSTLs, training manuals, and a host of other manuals, averaging 1900 pages per delivery. They also had only limited hands on the equipment, even on that stuff, which annoyed the heck out of me, due to union rules, lab schedules, test schedules, development schedules, and so on. Documents were usually written from what could be found from engineering drawings, assembly drawings, manufacturing processes, customer reviews, requirements documents, and contract specifications. Whenever I was asked how accurate it was, I'd tell them only as much as you allowed me to be. We usually had 6 months on each delivery and weren't just formatting.

The formatting discussed previously was to bail the SE out in their 2 day panic in the one manual they claimed and had made a total outhouse of.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>