Re: Real World Advantages of Office / Word 2007 and Windows 7

Subject: Re: Real World Advantages of Office / Word 2007 and Windows 7
From: "William Sherman" <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 21:50:59 -0400

In one particular case I am thinking of, several software engineers wanted to keep the systems operation manual up to date as they felt the tech writers didn't understand the system software. Small wonder, when I got there, we were not allowed to turn it on or run it. I never got to see it in operation from start up, operation, and shut down. I got to see bits and pieces at various times because I was constantly going into the lab, but how was I to ever know how it work?

The problem is that on their computers, some had Word set to automatically update styles and formats. When they would manually number, they would affect the numbering in other sections. When they would bold a section for emphasis, they would impact other sections. There must have been 20 "Normal" styles in that document, not to mention a dozen list styles and so on. Headings? There wasn't H1, H2, H3, H4, there were a dozen. H1, H1bold, H1centered, H1italic,Heading 1, Heading1, Heading 1 Centered, etc.

I don't know how long they had been putting pieces in, but I had to bail them out occasionally when they would scramble it all. I told my boss I refused to ever work on that manual other than to stop and help them with a single problem, and if he insisted on bringing it back into our fold, he needed to set aside 6 months to fix it.

There would be things like a procedure on page 203 that went:

Paragraph
1.
2.
a.
b.
3.
4.
5.

And then on page 473, you would have another list.

Paragraph
1.
2.
3.
4.
a.
b.
5.

If they added two lines in on page 473 between step 3 and 4, instead of it going

Paragraph
1.
2.
3.
4.
a.
b.
5.

It would go

Paragraph
1.
2.
3.
4.
5.
4.
a.
b.
5.

Because the steps for 4 and 5 were tied in sequence to page 203 and not to the procedure on 473.

The solution was to cut and paste into Notepad, then cut and paste in Word and format again, right? Wrong. Now procedures on page 513 and 269 and 624 and who knows where else would scramble.

How they pulled some of this off, I still haven't figured out. The "solution", as wrong as it seems, was to manually put in numbers so that they didn't connect to anything. You have to remember these things were usually found 2 days before shipping, as the software engineers held this until the last possible day to include the latest and greatest code changes, and there was no time to fix it right.

And numbered lists weren't the only styles connected and messed up like this.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>