RE: Real World Advantages of Office / Word 2007 and Windows 7

Subject: RE: Real World Advantages of Office / Word 2007 and Windows 7
From: Ben Davies <bdavies -at- imris -dot- com>
To: "Coe, David E" <David -dot- Coe -at- gdit -dot- com>, William Sherman <bsherman77 -at- embarqmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 14:54:35 +0000

After defending Word 2010 for the last few days, I feel a little dirty and want to go on a rant about everything that is wrong with this software. I am by no means an advocate for Microsoft Word 2010. But I do get a little uppity when people start slagging the software because of issues like engineers destroying the formatting, or not being able to find a menu item. There are other REAL issues with this software that should be mentioned...

The out-of-the-box default Word 2010 is a complete joke that is geared towards new users. If you don't know anything about styles, you never will when using Word 2010, because Microsoft seems to have made every effort to bury styles even further down the rabbit hole. Now you need 3 or 4 clicks just to open the styles menu (the real one, not the quick parts one), and even the functionality of the styles menu has been changed (this drove me nuts for the first two months before I got over my old habits of pressing a letter on the keyboard to make the styles list jump to styles that started with the letter I pushed). And they don't even give you any list styles (numbers, bullets, etc.) by default in the quick styles menu. Instead they want you to use their bogus outline list buttons that are on the Home tab and are not associated to any styles. Apply numbering with the outline numbering button to a sentence that is Body Text, and the number will appear on the screen and the format of the sentence will change, but the underlying style remains Body Text. Oh sure, it looks pretty on the page. But behind the scenes you have just introduced style confusion that can cause document corruption. No idea why Word refuses to link any of their buttons to built-in styles like a NORMAL publishing tool would. Instead of giving users 37 ways to format text, they should make the task of formatting more robust, so that when you change the way something looks, it is actually associated to some type of built-in style. But forcing users to use styles instead of giving them bright shiny formatting buttons detracts from their obvious mandate to make this software easy for new users (and frustrate the heck out of the rest of us).

Another beauty in Word 2010 is how you can copy text from one section in a document, and paste it in another section, and not one of the paste buttons will paste what you have copied using the original formatting. Instead you have to press CTRL+V. Only stumbled on this one by accident, and it is not 100% repeatable. I could go on and on about the little weirdo issues with this software, but I digress.

The bottom line here, is the tool will do what you want if you understand it well enough. Simply writing it off as a bogus word processor that corrupts your documents without understanding why the corruption happens, or what you could do to prevent it, seems a little ignorant and biased IMO.