RE: Pay Gap Between Manager and Subordinates

Subject: RE: Pay Gap Between Manager and Subordinates
From: "Al Geist" <al -at- geistarts -dot- com>
To: "'Cardimon, Craig'" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 16:48:27 -0400

In retrospect, Craig is correct in that when I needed information for my
budget, I was given the pay ranges for the employee categories. For example,
the pay range for a Technical Writer II, or Technical Writer III. Each
category had a job description. If I assumed that I would be adding staff, I
could refer to the categories and pay ranges. As for my current staff, I had
a department total to work from and added the average expected pay raise (if
any).

When I developed funding proposals in response to government RFQs, we (I was
a member of a team) had the number and types of FTEs we would need and cross
referenced that to the average pay rates for the region and government pay
scales.

What we could never get was the actual pay rates for individual employees.
To do so would have caused more problems than solutions.

Al Geist-Geist Arts, LLC
Fine Art Photography - Exceptional Note Cards
Mobile: 231-301-5770
E-mail: al -at- geistarts -dot- com
Website: www.geistarts.com
Blog: www.gooterschmeltz.com
Facebook: Geist Arts
See Also:
Technical Communication, Help, Documentation Management

?We can?t solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used to
create them." (Albert Einstein)