RE: Pay Gap Between Manager and Subordinates

Subject: RE: Pay Gap Between Manager and Subordinates
From: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- M-S-G -dot- com>, "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 3 May 2012 09:08:48 -0500

At one company, I was promoted to manager. (No one else in my department
wanted the job because our director was a major jerk, but the people he
was bringing in to interview were manifestly less qualified than almost
everyone in the department, so I decided to throw myself on my sword for
all of us.)

I had two very senior employees whose pay I knew was higher than mine
before I was promoted. Obviously, after I was their manager, I knew
exactly what their pay was. Even though I got a small raise in pay when
I was promoted, theirs was still higher than mine by a few $K. I
protested about this but was told that my divisional head did not have
it in his budget to raise my pay that high. I also knew what the
previous manager had made, and I was making more than $10K less than
her, but they told me that her pay had been out of line with that of the
other managers in the division. (Of course, I had more experience than
they did, but never mind.)

My previous director in that division would have not allowed me to make
less than my employees, but this divisional director did nothing. The
divisional vice president even talked to me about it and also was a
wimp.

Kay