RE: Mac laptops and Tech Comm

Subject: RE: Mac laptops and Tech Comm
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Craig Cardimon <craig -dot- cardimon -at- gmail -dot- com>, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2012 15:00:49 -0500

With Parallels, in many cases, you don't even have to dual-boot.

On my elderly MacBook Pro (late 2008) I've got a Windows partition
that I used for a while in order to connect to the employer's VPN.
After a while (I don't know what changed) it was able to work via
Parallels, in OSX, so I didn't even need to reboot into Windows
when I wanted to connect to the office. Then a new gen of the
VPN stuff came along, and it wasn't friendly with Parallels, but
about that time I got a company laptop, so I've stopped using
the MBP when I want to connect to the office anyway. I'll probably
wipe the Windoze partition entirely, next time I have nothing
better to do. Except for employer-office-specific work, everything
that I do these days is done either on the Mac or on my phone.

In your case, I'd inquire whether any Windows-only applications
that you need can run via Parallels. When it works, it's certainly
handier than rebooting to swap the OS.

As for the PC and dual-boot.... every PC I've used at the employer
office for the past dozen-or-more years has had dual and triple
boot configs - usually at least one Windoze and at least one Linux.
The Mac is no smarter than the PC. Its only real advantage is that
Apple won't support their OSX on any hardware that they don't
make, so integration is much cozier. Windows needs to comfortably
co-exist on a wide variety of hardware from a legion of PC
makers. Given how well Windows does that these days, that fact
makes it, arguably, smarter than Mac OSX. Even so, I prefer my
Mac or my (Android) phone. :-) That said, our local IT guy
has a really nifty Windows phone. Hmm.

or disclosing it.

http://bit.ly/doc-to-help