RE: Tips on how to talk to SMEs

Subject: RE: Tips on how to talk to SMEs
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: Kat Kuvinka <katkuvinka -at- hotmail -dot- com>, "techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com" <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>, "dgoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com" <dgoldstein -at- riverainmedical -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 2011 09:37:31 -0400

Kat Kuvinka wrote:

> Today I caught a developer looking at my chest. So, how about a smile
> and a handshake and a couple of buttons undone?
>
> Don't know what's up with that.

I wouldn't necessarily take that as either insulting OR
flattering.

I've had developers "stare" at MY chest. Some people
who are more cerebral than social just stare into
space when thinking (or when wishing you'd get done
and go away so they can get back to thinking...).
Most people's eyes tend to look ahead and a little
down when they are zoning, because that's a relaxed,
neutral position. If you were standing, while the
developer was seated, that requires even more effort
and intent from him/her to look above a neutral
sightline, so if he's (most likely to be a him) not
extremely socially aware, his eyes might drop as
soon as he concentrates on the matter at hand and
forgets the rote-learned social rules.

Or, s/he could be an unrepentent lech.

As a male who is more fascinated by other female
attributes, I've been embarrassed to catch myself
with eyes lingering on the chest of women who
wear:

a) name tags

b) message t-shirts.

I can see a bad cashier not wanting people to be
able to read the chest-mounted name tag.
But a good cashier would want me to be able to
read her (or his) name, because I'm that guy
who takes his groceries out to the car then
makes a special trip back into the store to
find the manager and commend the cheerful,
helpful, efficient person who just served me.

Of course, if you were a bad cashier... you might
wear a tag with somebody else's name... :-)

Hmm. Maybe stores and other service businesses
should have their employees wear name tags on
hats or on waist-belts... whoops! tall man
looking down toward waist of short woman is looking
through... um... never mind.

Politically correct logistics are a beeyatch.

Alright then, new dress code everybody!
Men and women.
Burqas all around.
Starts tomorrow.