RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels

Subject: RE: Quotation marks around user interface labels
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Robart, Kay" <Kay -dot- Robart -at- tea -dot- state -dot- tx -dot- us>, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 2011 10:56:36 -0400

Some of us have learned to avoid bolding as an identifier because
we produce WebHelp, and for some years the bold attribute was
considered unreliable in webbish contexts - browsers could treat it
differently, it was overtaken by <strong> </strong>, which could
sometimes be rendered as italic, rather than bold, etc.

Fortunately (?) we still provide a command-line interface to
the software side of our products, so for single keys and buttons,
my "standard" has been to surround the item in square brackets
like [ OK ] or [ Yes ], [ No ], [ Enter ], [ < ] and [ > ].

For other stuff - and for the GUI we'll eventually have - I
also like Janice's approach.

- kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com