Fw: Re: OK, I shut down the computer...

Subject: Fw: Re: OK, I shut down the computer...
From: reshma pendse <reshma_pendse -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 21:52:41 +0530 (IST)

From: reshma pendse <reshma_pendse -at- yahoo -dot- co -dot- in>
Subject: Re: OK, I shut down the computer...
To: "John Posada" <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thursday, 28 April, 2011, 9:38 PM

I'd think that shutting down the computer is not a step in the installation process but a prerequisite to it. If you note it as a prerequisite, then you can elaborate what the user can do to access the instructions before launching into the procedure itself.
Additionally, you could provide a means for them to get the instructions in the form of a text message on their mobile phone. Everyone may not have a printer, but nearly everyone has a mobile device.
Example:Installing xyzPrerequisite
Before installing xyz, you must shut down the computer that you intend to connect this device to. We therefore recommend that you copy or print these instructions before you begin. Alternatively, you can send a text message to receive these instructions on your mobile/handheld device. Type 'Install xyz'
and send to 888888888.