Re: graphics designer needed for logo help

Subject: Re: graphics designer needed for logo help
From: Phil <philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com>
To: Â Techwriter List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 28 Apr 2011 23:32:26 +0700

I think crowd-sourcing is here to stay, regardless of different opinions about its ethics. It's here to stay because the supply of designers outstrips the demand (and doesn't everyone with photoshop think they're a designer now, anwyay?)

My view is it's a great opportunity for freelancers and newbies to both build a portfolio (even if a design is rejected, newbies will build both skills and a body of work from the exercise) and get a foothold into the market. Its benefits to commissioning companies are obvious.

While I'm sympathetic to the view that "people should be paid for what they do", nobody forces someone to enter into this kind of activity; you do it if you need to, and if you need to you are probably learning the trade and the experience will do you good. I say this not from the position of a commissioner, but as a newbie designer myself.

I agree with the point that as far as the commissioner is concerned, it carries copyright risks. They need to do their homework when accepting a design: that's the downside for them.

It's good that its a two-way street. Pros and cons for all parties.

Phil

On 28 Apr 2011, at 23:17, voxwoman wrote:

> One more thing to keep in mind when asking for spec work in contests is that
> (if you do some research into it) you as a client are going to be
> responsible for making sure your logo doesn't infringe on anyone else's
> trademark, nor is it ripped off from another artist (or clip art or derived
> from stock photography violating their license agreement), which is what
> happens frequently on the cheap logo contest websites (according to
> information from specwatch.info site)

Phil Stokes BA MA TESOLcert
Language Instructor
Chulalongkorn University Language Institute
Phaya Thai Road
Patumwan
Bangkok
10330
Thailand

Tel: (662) 218-6089
philstokes03 -at- googlemail -dot- com
2551phil -at- gmail -dot- com
philip -dot- s -at- chula -dot- ac -dot- th

Technical Writing
Help Guides | Tutorials | User Manuals
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/14906355/hiretech_write.htm

Essential Thinking for Philosophy