RE: Is my Acrobat up to speed

Subject: RE: Is my Acrobat up to speed
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Combs, Richard'" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>, "'Brian Bertrand'" <bertran -dot- de -dot- st -dot- jean -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 16:57:10 -0500

Brian Bertrand wrote:

> Honestly you will be far better off running two sticks of the same
> size and speed than running one big one and one small one. Make
> certain that any ram you buy runs at the same speed (MHz) as any RAM
> that you currently have and intend to keep using, otherwise the faster
> RAM will burn itself out trying to run at the slower speed (had this
> happen to a friend of mine who didn't check this first).

Richard Combs wrote:

"Two matched modules will indeed provide better performance, but only if the
system has dual memory channels, and in that case matched pairs may be
required. The Crucial system scanner I recommended will tell you all that,
as well as which memory speeds are compatible with your PC.

As for RAM burning itself out by running at a slower speed, that's just not
true. Your friend's RAM failure was due to other causes -- maybe just a bad
chip. Unlike a microprocessor, the "speed" of RAM just specifies how fast
you can send it data. It certainly doesn't mind waiting a bit longer."

I wrote:
I have to agree with Richard. In my over 40 years working on and writing
about technology, I have never seen a memory unit (from core memory to
chips) fail because it was running to slow. If anything, they breathe a sigh
of relief. I am not saying that Brian's friend didn't have some memory fail,
but I seriously doubt it was from running to slow. I would venture to say
that the chips may have been the same size, but they were different in that
many one was buffered and one wasn't and so on. Also, if you buy "cheap"
memory, you get what you pay for.

Regards,

Al Geist
Technical Communicator, Help, Web Design, Video, Photography
Office/Msg: 802-872-9190
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
Website: www.geistassociates.com

See Also
Fine Art Photography

"We can't solve problems using the same kind of thinking we used to create
them." (Albert Einstein)

http://www.doctohelp.com