RE: Is my Acrobat up to speed

Subject: RE: Is my Acrobat up to speed
From: "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
To: Brian Bertrand <bertran -dot- de -dot- st -dot- jean -at- gmail -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Mar 2011 07:54:30 -0800

Brian Bertrand wrote:

> Honestly you will be far better off running two sticks of the same size and
> speed than running one big one and one small one. Make certain that any
> ram
> you buy runs at the same speed (MHz) as any RAM that you currently have and
> intend to keep using, otherwise the faster RAM will burn itself out trying
> to run at the slower speed (had this happen to a friend of mine who didn't
> check this first).

Two matched modules will indeed provide better performance, but only if the system has dual memory channels, and in that case matched pairs may be required. The Crucial system scanner I recommended will tell you all that, as well as which memory speeds are compatible with your PC.

As for RAM burning itself out by running at a slower speed, that's just not true. Your friend's RAM failure was due to other causes -- maybe just a bad chip. Unlike a microprocessor, the "speed" of RAM just specifies how fast you can send it data. It certainly doesn't mind waiting a bit longer. :-)

Richard G. Combs
Senior Technical Writer
Polycom, Inc.
richardDOTcombs AT polycomDOTcom