Re: State of the Technical Writing Field

Subject: Re: State of the Technical Writing Field
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "Chantel Brathwaite" <brathwaitec -at- castupgrade -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 2010 09:04:14 -0800

Generally, I see a shift away from writing stand-alone user documents for the
technically unschooled. This is increasingly being handled by embedded
instructions on equipment or in applications (which can also be generated by
technical writers). I also see the emphasis shifting from user instructions in
general toward setup and service instructions for manufacturing and support as
products and systems become more user-simple on their front ends and more
technically complex "under the hood." Knowledge and skills in the "technical"
part of "technical writing" is becoming more essential for those wishing to
remain competitive in the field.

Gene Kim-Eng