Need some grammar help

Subject: Need some grammar help
From: "A.B. Cornwell" <cornwell -dot- ab -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 23:48:43 -0500

Hello!

I am trying to explain to my instructor why I believe the following question
is worded incorrectly, given the "correct" answer. This is from an online
test.

Question:

Your picture will be divided into little packets of data for transport
across the internet using ___________.

Answers:

A. TCP

B. IP

C. Blah

D. Blahblah

I answered B. IP because there were no commas offsetting the phrase "across
the internet" and I read the question as asking what is the protocol that
does the transport of the little packets?

The "correct" answer is TCP. I'm telling the instructor that if the intent
had been to ask what is the protocol for dividing the picture into little
packets of data, there should have been a comma before and a comma after the
phrase "for transport across the internet" : "Your picture will be divided
into little packets of data, for transport across the internet, using

This is no biggie, but, I am pretty sick of poorly written, syntactically
deficient, and grammatically gory tests and handouts. Plus, I drank a lot
of coffee and will be up late, so I might as well nag.

I can't remember the correct name of the phrase represented by "for
transport across the internet". I'd like to lay that on the instructor as
well. Anyone?

Thank you, carry on with your weekends!

Anne C.

http://www.doctohelp.com