Re: Which would you prefer and why? (Help Tool)

Subject: Re: Which would you prefer and why? (Help Tool)
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 11:21:10 -0500

As an expert RoboHelp user who has used it since 1994 when it was a plug-in
for Microsoft Word, my answer is....

MadCap Flare.

Yes. That's right: Madcap Flare. Here's why:

1. Local support that you can reach -- and is only a time zone or so away,
compared to a RoboHelp 2nd level support team (and this is my experience, so
if yours differs, allrighty then) that is working during my nighttime and
vice versa. First level support is difficult and expensive at Adobe, and
they have a "stepchild" attitude about RH. Again this is my opinion. Your
mileage may vary.

2. A GREAT application with good help documents, excellent (and sometimes
free) training, and a nice stable interface.

3. Reusability tagging down to the word level, if you need it, which is
great if you are a single author and need to streamline as much as possible,
like addresses, copyright statements, version numbers, computer text, etc.
You get the idea.

4. Reliable single-sourcing, and XML output if needed.

5. Interface with DITA either available now or coming soon. (MadCap people,
can you expand on this)?

6. And finally, MadCap is the second-gen RoboHelp: the company was formed by
all the good creative Robo people when BlueSky was purchased by Macromedia
(I think Macromedia).

All this after using RoboHelp for 14 years. I still have an old copy, but
prefer Flare.

**AGAIN this is only my opinion. Take it for what's it's worth: free advice!
:-)

PT

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com