OFT: But close to Re: Another warning label for the record books...

Subject: OFT: But close to Re: Another warning label for the record books...
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 30 Mar 2010 12:14:31 -0500

Speaking of warning labels, or lack thereof in this case....Some people you
can't warn and some people will do something obviously dangerous unless you
tell them not to....

We have a new commuter train in our town. It runs on existing railroad
tracks mostly. The people here are completely oblivious to the fact that
maybe stopping on a train track of any kind might be....a *bad idea*?

A local news station, KVUE, has a message board where the are some postings
about this new train and the local traffic. Several posters bemoaned the
fact that so many people are in a hurry that safety is completely ignored.
One poster had a slightly different take on this:

The last time I turned right onto (street)t (the week before service
started, but while test runs were going on) there were NO SIGNS visible from
the right turn lane saying not to stop on the tracks. Result was that I was
just past where the barriers would have come down. Haven't been there since,
but I hope they've corrected that situation in some way.

There were no signs that said not to stop on the tracks? Would it ever be a
GOOD IDEA to STOP on railroad tracks and get stuck there? Holy train wreck,
Batman! Notice the writer said that there were tests going on--whoever this
is knew that the train would be around sometime, right?

Well there are signs now, and barriers, and lights. Plenty of
warning labels right?

People are still driving around them to sit on the tracks.

Moral of the story: A technical writers we explain why something is
dangerous, but we can't make a person stop for a train.

PT

http://www.ModernAnalyst.com