RE: What is the term for halfway between...

Subject: RE: What is the term for halfway between...
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Janoff, Steve" <Steve -dot- Janoff -at- Teradata -dot- com>, "dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com" <dvora -at- tech-challenged -dot- com>, "techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 13:58:06 -0500

Janoff, Steve offered:

> Hard to get a picture of what you're talking about.
>
> It looks like you're talking about a "centerline" or "midline," as
> someone else suggested.
>
> Are you trying to describe a line or a point? Sounds like a line.
> (Sounds like you're trying to instruct them to do something or place
> something or drill "along the centerline.")
>
> Steve
>
> PS - I don't know if this drawing is any better:
>
> -------------------- outside edge
>
> ==================== centerline
>
> -------------------- outside edge

I get what you're saying here.
I didn't read the original that closely, and so I
was thinking in terms of a point on a plane or
a point inside a 3-dimensional body, which got me
thinking along the lines of center-of-mass,
center-of-gravity, etc.

Gene's centroid sounded right.

Geographic center?

When making ASCII drawings, it pays to draw your
original in a monospaced font, as Steve did.

- Kevin

or disclosing it.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/