Re: in search for better tools

Subject: Re: in search for better tools
From: Robert Lauriston <robert -at- lauriston -dot- com>
To: Mike Hamilton <mhamilton -at- madcapsoftware -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2009 12:20:28 -0800

Thanks, that makes MadCap's policy clear and explains the lack of an opt-in.

I suggest you add the tip about creating an opt-in in the installer to
the Flare online help.

On Fri, Dec 11, 2009 at 12:01 PM, Mike Hamilton
<mhamilton -at- madcapsoftware -dot- com> wrote:
> OK, last post on this issue. However, if anyone wants to continue offline then please send me direct at mhamilton at madcapsoftware dot com. If you want, I will even give you my direct cell number so you can call and yell at me if you so desire.
>
> Mike Hamilton's post does not show that we don't understand the issue. It shows that we do understand the issue and it is not an actual issue, but an issue of perception and splitting hairs. As such it has been duly noted, and scheduled as a feature request, but of the B category, not the A category.
>
> We simply make tools. Single sourcing tools. If a team wants to implement report tracking via .chm file, but they have concerns, then by all means, use the single-source publishing capabilities and generate two .chm files, one with and one without. Then create an installer that politely asks which one the user would like to install. As to adding an opt-out to a .chm file, the format is locked down by Microsoft so the only way to do such a thing would be to add a new .dll file that would have to be installed with the .chm file and registered on the machine. That would be a HUGE amount of overhead for something that would be much easier to do via the installer option I mentioned above. Or, the only way to do it without a .dll would be to add an opt-out to every single topic - not realistic at all.
>
> So, in the end, an opt-in is absolutely doable, via the installer. The installer that will be written/created by the very same people that want to use the reporting feature. If they have the resources to install and implement servers and server software and are already writing an installer for their application, then this should be child's play.
>
> Again, my last post on this issue. This functionality is completely anonymous, has been vetted via legal counsel, similar functionality is in use by many companies worldwide (any idea how much data Google collects on you daily?), and can be set up with opt-in/opt-out options. I will not be baited, lured, cajoled, or enticed to post again, but anyone that feels I or MadCap Software are not doing our job because we have not shut down the entire company over this perceived injustice, then please contact me direct via the methods in the opening paragraph and I will give you as much time and attention as you need.
>
> Mike Hamilton
> V.P. Product Management
> MadCap Software

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/