Re: in search for better tools

Subject: Re: in search for better tools
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 9 Dec 2009 15:29:17 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "Sharon Burton" <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
> I would ask Mike Hamilton to step in here, but he got back from India Monday
> and drove to Phoenix yesterday. I'm not certain he's conscious!

If Feedback doesn't enable help authors the ability to display
explanation and opt-out dialogs in their finished help, I would
consider that a design flaw. It is possible for the software
product's to be written to do it during the install process, but
I wouldn't want to be a help author having to explain to the
development team that they need to do this to prevent the
product from being reported as a PUP because my help
authoring tool can't produce help that will.

If Feedback users aren't doing *something* to work around this
and provide their customers with such explanations and options
in the absence of the ability to make the help do it, they're
producing help that meets the antispyware coalition's definition
for "spyware and potentially unwanted technology" that most
firewall and malware scanners are now using:

http://www.antispywarecoalition.org/documents/definitions.htm

See the last row of the table, "Tracking Software." Trackers
that do not send personal information are still included if there
is no end-user control over the transmission of data.

I routinely block internet access for any program installed on
my systems that attempt access without first informing me that
they're going to do it and asking for permission. I have no idea
how many of these blocks are caused by help files produced
with this tool.

Gene Kim-Eng

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. True single- sourcing --
generate 8 different formats and as many different versions as you need
from just one project. Fast and intuitive. http://www.helpandmanual.com/