Texting and Twitter

Subject: Texting and Twitter
From: Brad Whittington <brad -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 2009 10:24:37 -0600

My family uses texting extensively and everyone is over 30. Some are
well over 30, but I'm not naming names. ;-) We primarily use it for
logistics, not as a way to carry on a conversation.

What many say about Twitter now (who cares if you just got a latte
from Starbucks) used to be said about blogs. But, as we know, blogs
have many legitimate uses beyond an online journal of personal
detritus. Dismissive attitudes about tools seem to me to be a
knee-jerk reaction that reflects a lack of creative thinking or
actually engaging the technology to discover the value it can bring.

Twitter has lots of legitimate, even valuable, uses. Perhaps not so
much for product documentation. But the fact that it's not suitable
for some applications doesn't mean that it isn't suitable for any
application of substance. I have found it to be a great tool for
staying aware of breaking stories in multiple areas, professional as
well as personal. It's also a great way to allow a non-technical user
to update a web page in real time. And a lot of other things.

--
Brad Whittington
BradWhittington.com

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/