Re: Using Synergy configuration management system with Frame

Subject: Re: Using Synergy configuration management system with Frame
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 17 Nov 2009 04:30:39 -0800 (PST)

Concerning all your graphics files for all books in a single directory...

You should be able to check out the entire directory as read-only. For a lot of source control systems (no experience with Synergy) you actually keep a local image of what's on the system branch, and you can update it when the controlled branch has changed. That's separate from actually checking out for edits. Since you would not have to edit most of the graphics, and since you would want to explicitly check out the graphics you do edit, there should be no problem here.

The only gotcha with a system like this is that you might check out a file for edit, then make an xref to a file that's read-only. You won't know it's read-only until you try to save it. So you have to remind yourself to check out the targets of xrefs. I suppose some plugin could integrate Maker with whatever source control you're using, and force you to check out the target before you make an xref to it. But that's another subject.

Finally, I question the wisdom of storing all your graphics in one directory. It's probably none of my business, but by doing so you make it difficult to transfer a single book. For example, what if you're going on a trip but want to work on the book in your off time? Collecting the book is more difficult if the graphics for all books are lumped together. Just my 2 cents, there... I'm sure you have your reasons.

cud

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help & Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Easy to use
but still has all the power you need. Get results fast in an intuitive
authoring environment that works like a familiar word processor.
http://www.helpandmanual.com/