Re: Doc Design and Convention - to address Gene's take on

Subject: Re: Doc Design and Convention - to address Gene's take on
From: Chris Despopoulos <despopoulos_chriss -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 8 Nov 2009 11:21:22 -0800 (PST)

I've just been working for the last number of years in environments where a developer would have serious explaining to do if she stepped outside of the agreed bounds. Maybe that's one of the benefits of Agile... If the story isn't approved, you don't work on it. If you want to noodle in some corner of the code, you put the idea into the backlog and see if it ever moves into a sprint. And in my current position, although it isn't Agile we do wind up being similar. It's a smaller company, so top-level people vet everything. I'm surprised that the venerable tech institutions (Sun, Microsoft, Adobe, Cisco, IBM...) would not have arrived at a similar approach. Projects become much more predictable, and the features that do make it into the implementation get the benefit of more focused attention. It's been a long time since I've seen a loose cannon wreak havoc on a project plan as you describe.

cud

*************************
You seem to be assuming that these features were
officially approved :-> I can't answer for all
extraneous features but I've certainly seen
instances where developers were "in that section
of code anyway" and decided to implement something
on their own that they were sure everyone would
love. Or where they based some design decisions
on what they themselves thought would be cool
rather than what market research told them.

http://www.doctohelp.com/

Help and Manual 5: The all-in-one help authoring tool. Full support for
team authoring with multi-user editing - both directly and in combination
with VSS-compatible source control systems. http://www.helpandmanual.com/