RE: that vs who

Subject: RE: that vs who
From: "Pinkham, Jim" <Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com>
To: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, "techwr-l" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 10:05:40 -0500

Good point. I suspect the non-"who" constructions are not so much
incorrect as increasingly archaic. For example, the King James Bible has
passages such as "Let them that are in Judea flee unto the hills," and
there's an old hymn that, referring to God, says "which wert, and art,
and evermore shalt be." I'd bet the King's English was correct at that
time, but certainly not everyday usage in our time.

From: "Peter Neilson" <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
> "Any user >who< desires good results follows the instructions
carefully."

> "Any user >that< desires good results follows the instructions
carefully."

> I encounter both of these constructions in everyday use, and have the
> feeling that "who" is the correct usage. What accounts for the use of
> "that" in referring to people? Is there a rule that confirms my
> preference for "who" or one (of which I'm unaware) that prescribes
"that"?

ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and
publishing solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor,
Microsoft Word or HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed
manuals.
http://www.doctohelp.com

Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual authors
and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write once, publish
to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
http://www.helpandmanual.com/

---
You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as Jim -dot- Pinkham -at- voith -dot- com -dot-

or visit
http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/jim.pinkham%40voith.c
om

http://www.doctohelp.com