Re: Prompts to change templates -- can you stop them?

Subject: Re: Prompts to change templates -- can you stop them?
From: Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Downing, David" <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 2 Apr 2009 11:02:15 -0500

David, what version of Word do you have? I seem to remember that there is a
locking feature in 2002 and/or 2003 that allows changing only styles in a
document that you specify. It does not specifically address the template,
but does prevent adding or changing styles in the document itself.

I used this feature when I sent documents out for review, because I had one
user in particular who thought it was his "duty" to change all the
formatting in any document he looked at. :-\

I would look, but I have the newest version of Word (2007?) so I can't
check. I recommend you search the Microsoft Office site online for the
answer to this one. Try searching on "prevent changes to styles" and see if
that works.

PT

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:38 PM, Downing, David <david -dot- downing -at- fiserv -dot- com>wrote:

> I've searched Word help for this, but to no avail. I know how to switch off
> the prompt to save changes to the Normal template, but can you turn off
> *all* prompts to save changes to *any* templates? I never want to let Word
> do this because it would involve making changes that I don't always know the
> nature of, which I think is doubleplusungood. So can I tell Word to stop
> asking me whether I want to save changes to templates altogether, because I
> never want to?
>
> David Downing
> Senior Technical Writer
> Credit Union Solutions
> Fiserv

> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/pro.techwriter%40gmail.com

“You can only become truly accomplished at something you love....Pursue the
things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can't take their
eyes off you.”

- Dr. Maya Angelou

http://www.doctohelp.com