Re: telecommute

Subject: Re: telecommute
From: Peter Neilson <neilson -at- windstream -dot- net>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Thu, 30 Apr 2009 10:15:24 -0400

I had a telecommute long ago because the company had run out of desk
space. On site, the meetings were usually stand-up ones because there
was nowhere to sit down. Suddenly they canceled lots of stuff, including
my project. That same company now has plenty of desk space, and a large
labor pool looking for work. They might go for telecommute now on the
basis of price, if you'll work for about a tenth what you think your
rate should be.

Remote editing work occasionally shows up, where some scientist whose
English is shaky needs a paper improved for publication. What I've seen
has ranged from fairly good language that needed merely a blessing, to
bad research with missing baseline data, missing scale factors, missing
verbs, and unfathomable conclusions. (I think I was "de-facto thesis
advisor," except that I was unsuccessful in coaching the PhD candidate
into re-doing his sloppy work. I hope his committee denied him his
degree. He didn't pay me, either.)

I've made very little money doing this sort of stuff (I think the
scientists fund the editing personally, out of their lunch money), but
it's fun.

http://www.doctohelp.com