RE: Someone to do the "donkey work"

Subject: RE: Someone to do the "donkey work"
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 2009 11:49:35 -0500

If adding links to external documents is scut work, it makes even less sense for managers and editors to be doing it, since they are presumably paid more highly than you and your fellow writers. The task has already rolled downhill to a lower-cost level, and unless there is someone farther downslope from you, it looks like you're it.

On the other hand, it might be argued that inter-document links require someone who has an overall knowledge of the whole document set and the tasks and processes that your customers are trying to perform, and that writers are working in silos and don't have the necessary overall view. But if you follow that argument, then what you're talking about is *not* lowly scut work that can be "relegated to a data entry person".

Either way, it looks like you're the donkeys. But at least you're employed donkeys, which is not a given in today's economy, and particularly not in the financial services industry.

-Fred Ridder

http://www.doctohelp.com