Re: Meetings -- ARRGGHHH!!!

Subject: Re: Meetings -- ARRGGHHH!!!
From: John Posada <jposada99 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: List, Techwriter <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:41:26 -0500

> meeting in particular that is scheduled for one hour each week. For some
> reason, the leader of the meeting feels the need to use the entire hour,
> even if it's not a productive discussion. To some degree this can be
> enjoyable because it gets the team "chatting" but when you are busy,
> it's tough to not say anything. And, I can't use the conflicting meeting
> idea because the hour has been previously blocked out.

Wait guys...the original post described a meeting that was supposed to
go for 15 minutes and overran to 45.

To me, it's legit to excuse yourself.

However, when a meeting is scheduled for X period of time, the owner
of that meeting has every right to use the hour and when you accepted
that invite, you made a committment for that period of time.

Now, you may go into that meeting knowing that something came up and
you can only spare 30 minutes. In that case, tell the meeting
facilitator of your situation going in and ask if anything having to
do with doc can be addressed at the front end.

However, if not, you committed to an hour and the meeting facilitator
owns that hour, even if he wants to do hand puppets in the projector
light.

--
John Posada
Senior Technical Writer