Re: Meetings -- ARRGGHHH!!!

Subject: Re: Meetings -- ARRGGHHH!!!
From: T S <tens00 -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: Victoria Wroblewski <victoria -dot- wroblewski -at- eagletest -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 13:14:34 -0500

Victoria - You make a good point. In our daily scrum meetings (which are
supposed to be limited to 15 minutes), if there is an issue that needs more
discussion, it is considered a follow on meeting and only those necessary
stay. But, that is only for the scrum meetings. We have one meeting in
particular that is scheduled for one hour each week. For some reason, the
leader of the meeting feels the need to use the entire hour, even if it's
not a productive discussion. To some degree this can be enjoyable because it
gets the team "chatting" but when you are busy, it's tough to not say
anything. And, I can't use the conflicting meeting idea because the hour has
been previously blocked out.

> At a former place, we actually started to enforce a formal process in
> meetings where those kinds of "45 minute discussion on an issue" issues
> would be noted and followed up on after the meeting or during a
> different meeting. After about three grumble-filled document review
> meetings where there was resistance against any new process, the
> grumbling stopped and everyone else started doing the same thing in
> their own meetings.
>
> Project status meetings started taking about 10 minutes for all the
> required attendees, with 10-15 minutes of discussion with a smaller
> group. You were always welcome to stay and listen to the discussion or
> go on your merry way. Man, was that nice.
>
> - V
>

> **This transmission may contain information that is privileged,
> confidential and/or exempt from disclosure under applicable law. If you are
> not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any disclosure,
> copying, distribution, or use of the information contained herein (including
> any reliance thereon) is STRICTLY PROHIBITED. If you received this
> transmission in error, please immediately contact the sender and destroy the
> material in its entirety, whether in electronic or hard copy format. Thank
> you.**
>
> ComponentOne Doc-To-Help 2009 is your all-in-one authoring and publishing
> solution. Author in Doc-To-Help's XML-based editor, Microsoft Word or
> HTML and publish to the Web, Help systems or printed manuals.
> http://www.doctohelp.com
>
> Help & Manual 5: The complete help authoring tool for individual
> authors and teams. Professional power, intuitive interface. Write
> once, publish to 8 formats. Multi-user authoring and version control!
> http://www.helpandmanual.com/
>
> ---
> You are currently subscribed to TECHWR-L as tens00 -at- gmail -dot- com -dot-

> or visit
> http://lists.techwr-l.com/mailman/options/techwr-l/tens00%40gmail.com

Tara

http://www.doctohelp.com