Re: How to I get into this field?

Subject: Re: How to I get into this field?
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: kercort -at- yahoo -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 17:19:15 -0700

Oh, and learn SnagIt from TechSmith. You'll want this for home even if you
never get into tech writing.

Word, SnagIt, RoboHelp, FrameMaker, Visio, PowerPoint, and to a lesser
degree, Excel and Adobe Acrobat.... all techwriter toolkit essentials.

(Well FM isn't *always*, but the sooner you get some FM knowledge, the
better off you'll be. Me, I'd prefer to be using Adobe InDesign, as FM is in
dire need of a rewrite since being acquired by Adobe. But FM has some
industrial-strength muscle that no other similar tool offers at this point.)

I'm also seeing a lot of requests for Adobe Captivate experience; this
should be really easy to pick up. And the W3 ORG <http://www.w3.org/> site
offers a plethora of free knowledge.