Re: How to I get into this field?

Subject: Re: How to I get into this field?
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 08:26:51 -0700

You should also acquaint yourself with several style guides, these being the
*Chicago Manual of Style*, *Read Me First* (Sun Microsystems), and the
*Microsoft
Style Guide for Technical Writers*. You should already own a copy of Strunk
& White's *Elements of Style*.

Have a colldection of manuals tob reference: how were *they* constructed?
Which conventions did *they* use?

Study the world of typography; know all about typefaces, leading, kerning
and other typesetting finepoints. Visit a commercial printer who works with
Acrobat files to get an education in prepress requirements, etc.

Take a look at oreilly.com to learn what the current buzz topics are.

A familiarity with basic programming logic is helpful, as is a decent
command of Microsoft Visio. Know HTML at a code level, as well as at the
design (GUI) level. Know some JavaScript and where to find some pre-built
code on the Web. Here, Joe Burns' primers are terriffic!

Earlier I mentioned Adobe's *Classroom* series. You can download many of
their apps on a free trial basis while you go through the
corresponding *Classroom
In a Book*, e.g., FrameMaker, DreamWeaver, Illustrator, et al.

It's a given that you need to know your way around M$ Office. In this
regard, surf over to Woody Leonard's site and learn what online respurces
are available there.

If you're a student or educator and can prove it, you can get decent
discounts on books and software at academicsuperstore.com.

Lastly, keep asking questions of this group!