Re: How to I get into this field?

Subject: Re: How to I get into this field?
From: "Chris Morton" <salt -dot- morton -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2008 06:48:39 -0700

I got my start writing business-related freebies for the local chamber of
commerce magazine, and a bi-monthly magazine about business in Northern
Lower Michigan. I then answered an ad lin a monthly CAD magazine; they were
looking for writers. This could have easily have been a unsolicited inquiry,
however. I was able to parlay these experiences into many more
opportunities, the culmination of which (from a prestige standpoint, anyway)
was a 3-1/2 year stay at Hewlett-Packard.

Incidentally, I have NO degree, though I had superior English teachers in
both the elementary and secondary schools I attended. I do have some
college, having taking a few computer and business administration courses.
Continuing to take computer courses is always a good thing, whether it be at
a community college, self-paced Adobe *Classroom in a Book* training, or
whatever. The more you can list on your resume in the way of things like
XML, HTML, J2EE, Flash, etc., the more you'll find coming your way.

Join the Society of Technical Communications and use their job board. Get a
LinkedIn profile with professional endorsements, diligently building and
making use of your LinkedIn network to find gigs. And if not gigs, use it to
locate recruiters in your area, then solicit those recruiters for gigs. Get
hooked up with Dice.com.

Those are but a few ideas to get you started.