Word -- printing comments only?

Subject: Word -- printing comments only?
From: Geoff Hart <ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca>
To: Techwr-l <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, Nancy Allison <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>
Date: Wed, 13 Aug 2008 11:22:32 -0400

Nancy Allison wondered: <<I believe I have stumbled upon one of those
Word features that has disappeared from one version of Word to the
next. I want to print my comments only. I do NOT want to print every
element of markup, including deletions, additions, and so on.>>

I'm assuming you're using Word 2007? In older versions, the "Print
what?" dialog let you select "Comments only". I'm not using that
version, but here are a few suggestions that work in older versions
and that should work (perhaps with some tweaks) in Word 2007.

First and simplest, set the "Show" menu in the reviewing toolbar to
"Final". That will conceal all the inline edits, but should still
leave the comment balloons visible -- since you have now accepted
them (sort of) for the purpose of displaying the document -- though
you may need to muck about with the settings (e.g., set the margins
narrower) so that they display in an acceptably printable form.
You'll have to do this in print/layout view mode for the balloons to
appear beside the text.

Failing that, and if all you want is the comments, not the text they
relate to, there's an effective but more cumbersome workaround.
First, save a temporary copy of the file and accept all the edits.
(You can do this from the concealed menu beside the "Accept"
checkmark in the Reviewing toolbar: select "Accept all" from that
menu.) Next, open the Reviewing pane at the bottom of the screen, and
select all (Control+A) and copy it. Paste that information into a new
document, and save that document. You've lost all the comment numbers
along the way, but you can restore them in about 5 seconds: select
all, open the Format menu, select "Bullets and numbering", and apply
Word's autonumbering.

For this to work, Word has to preserve each comment as a separate
paragraph. If it doesn't, you'll have to add in a temporary character
such as "[ ]" that you can globally replace with ^p (the end of
paragraph marker) after copying the comments.

-- Geoff Hart
ghart -at- videotron -dot- ca / geoffhart -at- mac -dot- com
www.geoff-hart.com
***Now available*** _Effective onscreen editing_
(http://www.geoff-hart.com/home/onscreen-book.htm)

Print version: http://stores.lulu.com/store.php?fStoreID=1505747

http://www.componentone.com/DocToHelp/