Re: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l

Subject: Re: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 08:21:28 +0530

On Thu, Jun 5, 2008 at 10:45 PM, McLauchlan, Kevin
<Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com> wrote:
> Is the provided space so big that you never have to trim older messages
> from/to high-volume mailing lists? How about if you send/receive large
> or frequent attachments?

Richard Combs has already answered the space and attachment size
questions, but just so you get an idea of the rate of increase - I
just checked my space allocation and it's currently 6797 MB (all
accounts are supposed to increase gradually, but more or less
simultaneously - mine, like Richards, was 6793 at some time
yesterday).
I must confess, however, that despite Gmail's encouragement to keep
*all* your mail - never having to delete a message - I've been unable
to desist from compulsively clearing out non-useful mail every once in
a while. Mailing list posts (I'm on half a dozen lists including this
one) get deleted based on subject line, if not interesting, or get
read, considered, and either deleted or starred if they contain some
really great stuff that I want to keep around for future reference.
Then I can just select all the unstarred mail, and delete it - easy
way to clean out unwanted mail. Probably due to this compulsive
cleaning-up, I'm only actually using 1195MB (17%) of my allotted
space.

> I sorta trust my local ISP not to do foolish things with my mail, but
> the limits on how much I can keep online are painfully tight. I

I can't resist putting down this - true - story:
Some time back, our ISP's mail server began bouncing plain-text
messages *without* attachments or HTML, back to sender... with the
message"Text/unknown virus detected' (!!!) After that was fixed, we
found that: a) Messages to the ISP account often disappeared without
trace ("You sent me mail? I never saw it!") and b) The messages that
did get through sometimes got through a day or more after they were
sent. The record, apparently, was a message that was received a week
after it was sent... Snail mail woulda been faster.

> frequently need to download-and-delete, which then makes that slightly
> older mail unavailable except on my home PC. On the other hand, I don't
> really trust the corporate... um.... sincerity of Google (or Microsoft,
> or... fill in a big provider) to persist or to improve. That is, I
> suspect that more is known by other people than by me about the
> contents, patterns, history, etc. of my own (rarely used) gmail account.

That's almost a certainty :-) but it's a very tempting lure, Gmail is!
:-) Huge attachments permitted; relatively high uptimes (I mean, for a
*free* service, this is great!); near-instant mail delivery, though
with occasional slowdowns; superb spam filtering... the list goes
on...

Cheers,
Ed.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList