RE: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l

Subject: RE: One option for dealing with many postings on tech wr-l
From: "McLauchlan, Kevin" <Kevin -dot- McLauchlan -at- safenet-inc -dot- com>
To: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>, "Mike Starr" <mikestarr-techwr-l -at- writestarr -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 2008 13:15:06 -0400

Edgar D' Souza compares using Google gmail, via web interface, with
using local mail readers to read mail that's been downloaded onto one's
hard-disk.
[...]
> And if you back up your mailstore, you're backing up sometimes over a
> gigabyte or two of mail that you perhaps don't really need to. And if
> your hard disk goes west and you have no backup, your mail is gone -
> whereas with Gmail, even if my PC bites the dust, I can waddle over to
> another system and still log on to Gmail - my mail's still safe...
> yes, one needs a Web connection... but you can have the best of both
> worlds, actually, if you set up Gmail for POP with a thread-aware mail
> client, and set it to NOT delete mails on the server after POPping.
> That way, you get threading, offline mail, and a backup copy of your
> mail too..

Is the provided space so big that you never have to trim older messages
from/to high-volume mailing lists? How about if you send/receive large
or frequent attachments?

I sorta trust my local ISP not to do foolish things with my mail, but
the limits on how much I can keep online are painfully tight. I
frequently need to download-and-delete, which then makes that slightly
older mail unavailable except on my home PC. On the other hand, I don't
really trust the corporate... um.... sincerity of Google (or Microsoft,
or... fill in a big provider) to persist or to improve. That is, I
suspect that more is known by other people than by me about the
contents, patterns, history, etc. of my own (rarely used) gmail account.

Kevin
or disclosing it.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList