RE: Laptop Question (off topic? I don't know)

Subject: RE: Laptop Question (off topic? I don't know)
From: Fred Ridder <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>, techwr-l List <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 13 May 2008 14:14:53 -0400

I think that was my point, Gene. The manufacturers offer
the XP configurations to all customers because they are
already building them for their corporate customers. But
you do generally have to buy a "business" model rather
than a "home" model to get a configuration with XP
installed.

And one gotcha relating to "downgrading" a new computer
from Vista to XP is that you may find that some of the
newer devices that are inside the shiny new computer do
not have XP device drivers available for them based on the
assumption that the devices would only go into new
computer models that always had Vista installed at the
factory. This is one underlying reason why some computer
manufacturers don't offer any kind of XP option.> Sure, but they don't limit sales to big-volume corporate> customers.> > Gene Kim-Eng> > > ----- Original Message ----- > From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>> But there are only a couple of manufacturers who do this > routinely. If I recall correctly, among the big names only > HP and Dell offer XP rather than Vista as a standard option.> And that's mostly because they have had to offer that> choice to their big-volume corporate customers; the > corporate world has been very slow to adopt Vista as > the standard OS because it would force many of them > to accelerate their hardware refresh cycles to upgrade> systems not capable of running Vista efficiently.
Windows Live SkyDrive lets you share files with faraway friends.
http://www.windowslive.com/skydrive/overview.html?ocid=TXT_TAGLM_WL_Refresh_skydrive_052008

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList