Re: Replacing "master" and "slave" terminology

Subject: Re: Replacing "master" and "slave" terminology
From: Yves Jeaurond <jingting -at- rogers -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2008 10:39:04 -0400 (EDT)

Wow. What an interesting thread; like reading Plato's _Cratylus_ :-)
Gene makes a good point as always: we are left with two nouns;
slave(1) and slave(2). They look the same, but do not mean the same.

Reminds me of my days as a math tutor for high-school kids.
One kid thought the "x" variable in all of the equations had to
have the same value (<grin> She added "Just like a '2' does").
When I pointed out that x(1) has the same value as x(n) only
on an equation-by-equation basis, she figured the rest out quickly
and her grade went from D to A-.

Here we have the same sort of atrophy: "slave" does not have
the same value in all topics, just as "x" doesn't have the same
value in all equations. If a high-school kid figured that out,
dare I hope that the illustrious adults on this list will too?

Your faithful servant---as they used to sign off with, in the XVIIIth century---,

YJ
p.s. For those who feel they must pursue the matter, please do not
read the _Cratylus_. Not only did Plato own real slaves, he documented
in the _Cratylus_ the many points that can be made when identical names
mean different things. :-)

Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> a écrit :
I'm not sure how it's "good communication" if a reader
sees "master/contributor" and thinks the "contributor is
somehow sending data or materials to the "master" and
you end up having to explain that "contributor" actually
means "slave."

Gene Kim-Eng