RE: Overtime rules

Subject: RE: Overtime rules
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 15:39:37 -0500

Bonnie Granat wrote:

If a person signed on to a job knowing that the job involved up to 80 hours
a week and the company did not offer compensatory time, you'd call that
person insane, wouldn't you?

This is where experience is useful. There was a time when I was young and naïve enough to trust my employer to be fair. I fell for the $1 per hour increase along with the change to "exempt" status and believed the lie that this was an advancement.

They grossly abused their privileges.

I gained experience.

When I am offered an "exempt" position I now take care to include a mutually-agreed definition of what is to be considered a "standard work week". For instance, the standard defined in my current hire agreement is 40 hours.

My boss occasionally (but rarely) needs me for more than eight hours in a day or 40 hours in a week. I occasionally need to come in late, leave early, or even take a day not counted as vacation. We are both considerate of each other, and we both make an effort to keep the exchange even. It's working because we treat each other with respect.

Dori Green

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList