RE: employment law, overtime

Subject: RE: employment law, overtime
From: "Dori Green" <dgreen -at- associatedbrands -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jan 2008 13:20:23 -0500

Companies have been practicing "permalancer" abuse for many years. At
one Fortune 500 company I worked for, they acknowledged that they needed
permanent technical writers on staff but that because there was no
formal "career path" for them (i.e., into management), they could
therefore only hire them through agencies.

I worked for that company as a "temp" or "part-timer" (sometimes 60
hours per week) for almost six years. I knew of at least one technical
writer who had done so for twelve years.

There are federal laws against that sort of abuse. They got around it
by rotating us through temp agencies every two years. Same desk, same
boss, same work, different agency.

Dori Green

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList