Re: RoboHelp or Flare?

Subject: Re: RoboHelp or Flare?
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Cardimon, Craig" <ccardimon -at- m-s-g -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Dec 2007 15:41:53 -0500

Flare. It's a fantastic product that can't compare to RoboHelp, especially
the support, and the flexibilty for re-use with text. I used RoboHelp since
version 1 (when it was only a little toolbar for Word) and moved away from
it last year when it stopped doing what I needed and the support was not
there.

The Madcap folks provide US based support and they are fantastic. (And many
of them were the original RoboHelp folks.)

I can't say enough about how much MadCap support helped me. RoboHelp support
did pass my questions on to the second level tech team, but they were based
somewhere in Asia, and between the time difference and the language barrier,
it was tough to get the issues worked out. Not complaining, but that is the
truth.

I can tell you that where support is based and proficiency with English is a
huge issue for me, and it does drive my purchases. Other people may not care
as much, but I have some hearing difficulties and I do not have time to
"figure out" what someone is saying, or ask someone over and over to repeat
themselves if I can't understand them. But that's me.
Flare is, in my opinion, moving into the future of online documentation,
like using DITA. I am not sure how commited that Adobe is toward that end.
My opinion only.