Re: End User Manual and SharePoint Wiki

Subject: Re: End User Manual and SharePoint Wiki
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 09:04:40 -0800

If you were hoping for some magic bullet from me (and on
a Friday, no less), prepare for disappointment.

The key to your situation is that your upper management has
decided what process you should use, apparently without
any input from you. In true Dilbert-esque fashion they've
embraced the latest "new paradigm," they're not going to
change their decision based on anything you have to say
and you're doomed to experience it at least once and be
blamed at least in part for any problems that it causes.

The short answers to your three questions are (1) none,
(2) very carefully, removing any entries that you cannot
verify on the actual product, and (3) you probably
can't, but what may save you is the likelihood that the
only people who input anything to the wiki will be the
same small number who are already feedback providers
in your current process.

What I would do in this situation (besides grumbling
a lot and venting my frustrations by updating my resume
and maybe dropping a buck on a lottery ticket) would be
to ensure that whatever tool is used for this boondoggle
does not allow users to tinker with formats, tracks what
changes are made and who makes them and provides a
means to allow readers to access the real document
(the "unwikified" releases). Then I'd put a really big
disclaimer on the wiki that warns it may contain user-
entered information that the company has not had time
to test and verify and that use of its contents are at the
user's risk.

Gene Kim-Eng