re: docs on frozen CDs - how to handle updates to docs?

Subject: re: docs on frozen CDs - how to handle updates to docs?
From: Sam TechWriter <samtechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: mike -at- writestarr -dot- com
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 14:23:52 -0300 (ART)

Mike Starr wrote:
"It would seem to me in most cases that software changes outpace
documentation changes. If your company insists on using CDs as a
distribution mechanism for the documentation, what do they do with updates
to the software? If the software is automatically updated online, then the
update install program can install the documentation as well."

My response:
My company uses CDs to distribute software and documentation, combined. Historically, we've posted hotfixes and such on our website, but I'm not aware of any complete software updates posted on the website. (Our software is heavily customizable and consultants are frequently involved, so maybe they handle comprehensive software updates, if we have them.) Docs have not typically required updates between releases, so docs on the CD have typically been up-to-date or have contained only small differences from the latest on our website. The docs typically mention that up-to-date docs are on our website, but they do not emphasize the fact that you must go to the website to be sure you have the latest.

The stock of CDs we have for the last release fit the above historical pattern.

Today we are facing a new situation in which several documents need revision before release of the next software version. Someone on this list suggested putting stickers on the CDs that list the website as the location of the latest docs (thank you!). I am proposing this excellent suggestion to management. (I much prefer this suggestion to adding a docs-only CD as it might be separated from the product CD with its old docs and confusion might ensue...or maybe the sticker could be in additionto the docs-only CD.) Another scenario to consider is those customers who've already installed the CD. How can we make sure they realize that some of the docs on the CD have been revised? My first thought is a newsletter to all customers of the current release.

Next time we build CDs (for the next release), the documentation and its inclusion on the CD will hopefully anticipate this quandary.

Thanks for the questions - they make me think!

"Sam TechWriter" (who receives the techwr-l digest)
Seattle, WA, USA

Get your own web address.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList