Re: best practices for internal repository of published docs?

Subject: Re: best practices for internal repository of published docs?
From: Sam TechWriter <samtechwriter -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: Gordon McLean <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>, Pro TechWriter <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 10:33:47 -0700 (PDT)

Gordon McLean wrote:

"...what IS the way things are done around there? Is the intranet used heavily?" - and -
"The search for best practices stops as soon as you leave your company boundaries. What is right for me may not be right for others."

Good points, all!

To answer your question, we publish docs and software on network shares. Intranet is not used for looking up copies of company software and docs. We would have to change everyone's habits if we moved the existing and new docs to our intranet.

Your mention of semantically named folders intrigues me. Another person suggested that "source-control [should have] a meaningful relationship to the final published doc." Assuming the same for the repository (separate from our source-control), this relationship has been assured in the past, but now that we (the docs group) are publishing docs for limited audiences that are related to multiple products instead of just one and that may be subject to continuous updates between releases, we have to revisit the whole folder structure. I'm not sure that the esteemed TECHWR-L members can help without detailed product information, so I'll respectfully bow out of this thread.

Thank you Gordon and everyone else for your thoughts!

"Sam TechWriter" (who receives techwr-l digests)
Seattle, WA, USA

Need a vacation? Get great deals
to amazing places on Yahoo! Travel.
http://travel.yahoo.com/