Re: "face time" at the office

Subject: Re: "face time" at the office
From: "Pro TechWriter" <pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "Connie Giordano" <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 14:00:20 -0400

Question:

Someone mentioned "vigorously protecting one's 1099 status" in a post
earlier on.

I am wondering, if you are a consultant on a 1099 basis, and the
"client" says you must come to the office every day, will the IRS make a
case for your employment coming under a "contracting" category, instead of
an independent consultant? That also would mean the "client" would be liable
for paying in Social Security for you, and providing a W2 at the end of the
year, not a 1099.

Does anyone know about this? It seems to me that this used to be true (you
cannot be required to clock in at a client's site every day if you are 1009)
but I am not sure if it is true in June 2007.

PT

On 6/27/07, Connie Giordano <connie -at- therightwordz -dot- com> wrote:

> Funny, this is one area where the Federal government (US) is actually
> trying to take the lead. Study after study shows that telecommuting
> improves productivity, reduces road congestion and saves companies millions
> in operations and maintenance costs. check the Telework Coalition,
> http://www.telcoa.org/ for some links and news on legislation.
>
> As for me, my current contract required me to have a complete home
> office. In three months I've been allowed to use it three times. It's a
> global team, and most of my teleconferences include people from both US
> coasts and two other countries, somebody needs to explain to me why I have
> to be a cubicle to do that!
>

> Connie P. Giordano
> The Right Words
> Communications & Information Design
> (704) 957-8450 (cell)
>
> www.therightwords.com
> "It's kind of fun to do the impossible." - Walt Disney

PT
pro -dot- techwriter -at- gmail -dot- com
I'm a Technical Technical Writer!

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList