RE: Employment question

Subject: RE: Employment question
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Mary Arrotti'" <mary_arrotti -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 10:28:35 -0400

I worked at a place where the former corporate president leaned to the far
right politically and used to hold company meetings where he would explain
why his employees should vote a certain way. Conservative political posters
(small ones) were also allowed in the cubicles and in the assembly area, and
a few employees even had crude screen savers that ridiculed anyone who
wasn't right leaning. Politics were not discussed during my telephone or
face-to-face interviews. I was offered the job and moved my family 800 miles
from the west coast to New Mexico.

I got along with the new corporate president and all of the VPs; however,
the former president (and major shareholder) and several of the engineers
who idolized him, did not keep their low opinion of my political beliefs
secret. I ended up having to listen to regular Rush updates and a never
ending string of comments about what those "damn liberals" are doing now to
ruin America. I blew them off for the most part, because I loved what I was
doing and I had a lot of freedom in my job.

However, when I started getting political signs thrown at my car and
verbally abused by several of the hardest core neocons, I decided it was
either talk to HR or deck the bastards. The new president decided to rid
the company of all political slogans, signs, etc., and at a company wide
meeting, he requested tolerance. It was a nice gesture, but I had already
decided to move on by that time.

While I agree that it is imperative that teams do not become stagnant,
allowing (even promoting) a political religious belief to become part of the
corporate culture is different than creating an exciting, innovative and
creative environment. Had it not been for the politics, I would probably
still be living in New Mexico and loving my job.

And yes, I am a liberal, but I'm also a professional who has worked with
many conservatives throughout my career. In fact, I have many conservative
friends and we have great political discussions at the local pub after work.

Now...can we get back to technical writing?

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList