RE: Job outlook...

Subject: RE: Job outlook...
From: "Al Geist" <al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com>
To: "'Stephanie Bryant'" <mortaine -at- gmail -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 11:35:10 -0400

Stephanie Bryant wrote:

>I'd agree with Gene, in that there are many more jobs now than before, and
the prospects are getting better. However, the telecommute options vary,
depending on who you are, what kind of writing you do, and where you want to
work.

Hardware writer: Forget it. You have to be on-site.<

I have to agree with most of your comments about telecommuting, except this
one. I currently work as a contractor for a leader in microelectronic
manufacturing systems, writing User Guides, Service Manuals and just about
anything else they want. I also work out of my home office. However, I also
have an extensive background in hardware; I only live 30 miles from the
facility; and I have an excellent rapport with the engineering staff
(hardware and software). This is not the only contract where I worked out of
my home office and I doubt if it will be the last. I should add that I work
in Northern Vermont (closest bay is Mallots Bay area of Lake Champlain). I
haven't worked in the SF Bay Area since 1983 when I moved to Fairbanks,
AK....no bay up there either (and not much technical writing), but a heck of
a lot of snow.

Al Geist
Technical Writing, Help, Marketing Collateral, Web Design and Award Winning
Videos
Voice/Msg: 802-658-3140
Cell: 802-578-3964
E-mail: mailto:al -dot- geist -at- geistassociates -dot- com
office and beautiful note cards for all occasions.)

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList